Shirley Infant School employs a Family Support Worker, Karen Allen. Karen gives emotional and practical help and advice to families that are having long or short-term difficulties. A key part of her work is to help parents to improve their home management and parenting skills. This could involve;
- developing physical and emotional caring skills
- learning how to educate children through play
- understanding effective ways to deal with behavioural issues
- gaining control of the family budget
- encouraging parents to attend local workshops to develop their parenting skills
Meetings with Karen can be arranged by request at the school office and she can often be found in the playground before and after school.
At Shirley Infant School we run a programme of All In It Together coffee sessions once a month. These sessions cover topics such as speech and language, emotional literacy and how to enjoy the summer holidays to name a few. Keep an eye on the school weekly communication e-mails for more information about forth-coming sessions.